Sunday, November 15, 2009

Prada vs. Air Jordan

This week in class we talked about women in art. The articles in this chapter talked about how women, whether it be in art, comics, or even music videos, are usually also depicted as sex symbols while men are the tough guys or the hero. I mean there is nothing I love more than a good rap song, but I hate it when I turn it to a music channel in the mornings to get ready or something and I see the video for one of my new favorite songs, and all these girls are wearing booty shorts laying on the floor shaking everything they have with a guy in a tall tee behind them shaking his head like "yeahhh, that's right. I'm a B.A." I mean REALLY?? All of this talk also got us thinking about homecoming and clothes and fashion. It absolutely SUCKS that girls have to get dressed up and look really nice for occasions like homecoming or going out for the night, while a guy can throw on a t-shirt and some ball shorts and it be totally fine. I'm not saying that a girl couldn't throw on a t-shirt and some ball shorts, but it would DEFINITELY be socially unacceptable and she would be ignored and talked about by the rest of the girls who are all dolled up. And as much as I try to dress up and look cute to go out, it never feels like I'm dressed up enough. Why can't girls be just like guys and not have a care in the world about what they look like to other guys. I really want to trade places and make the guys walk around in the Pradas for a while and let us take a break and slip into some Air Jordans!

1 comment: