Monday, November 2, 2009

Watchers

The article that Dr. K sent us about the gang rape at a high school prom was super disturbing. I can't imagine what the little 15 year old is going through right now. However, what I am almost more disgusted with is the 20-plus people that stood by watching and didn't do A SINGLE THING! The fact that there were other people around that could have at least picked up their cell phone (we all know they have them because what high schooler goes anywhere without theirs?) and called the police! This article brought me back to the next to last week of classes my senior year in high school. My AP English teacher was teaching her junior English class and one of the girls started getting upset with her. My teacher told her to go to the office if she was so upset and pointed to the door. All of a sudden the girl just snapped and went after my teacher, jumping on top of her, punching her in the face, basically just beating the crap out of her. The whole situation was a mess and really sad because here my teacher is, a TINY 63 YEARS OLD...up against an 17 year old THICK girl. But just like with the gang rape at prom situation, there was a whole classroom of students who just sat back and watched. What made me the maddest is that I know for a fact that there were at least 5 junior football players in that room that could have EASILY have gotten that girl off of my teacher. Thankfully a SENIOR boy student aide happened to be walking by the classroom and heard the commotion and went in to break it up. My teacher went to the hospital but ended up being okay, and the girl went to juvy for like 2 weeks (not nearly long enough). However, I still can't get over the whole class just being watchers. UNACCEPTABLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment