Monday, October 26, 2009

As a friend and I were watching TV the other night, we were skimming through the channels and he nudged me when a girl in a skimpy swimsuit popped up and told me to go back. I went back to see what the big deal was and it turned out to be the "25 hottest women in Hollywood" or something like that. I found it interesting that even tho these women were from a very competitive pool of actresses and movie stars, almost every single one of them were shown in bathing suits or their sexy underwear. Its almost like they are saying "nevermind their talent, put them in something skimpy!" It even gets better. Right after the "25 hottest women in Hollywood" went off...the "25 sexiest men in sports" came on. Every single guy was fully clothed, in uniform, doing whatever sport they do best. So basically, the men were sexy for the sole fact that they were good at a sport and it had nothing to do with their bodies. Kind of ironic, i think. This made me think of our slide show in class Thursday and how men are seen as the masters and women are just kind of viewed as meat. I mean I guess you could say we are used to these kinds of things being on TV. It's just become more prominent from taking this women studies class, that we (women, society, the world) shouldn't have to be "used" to it! In my opinion, they either need to focus on the success and careers of the "25 hottest women in Hollywood" instead of their bodies....OR....they need to take those uniforms off, show a little more skin and focus on the bodies of the "25 sexiest men in sports."

No comments:

Post a Comment